For a while my biggest feat was not getting into college. I applied to a bunch, 11 to be exact. Never mind that i have a 3.0 gpa, hold an after school job, take ap classes and stay involved in school, I was sure i was going to get 11 letter back starting with " we regret to inform you..."
Then yesterday I got my first to two letters, both congratulating me on my acceptance to their schools and offering me scholarships. This gives me hope for the schools I'm still waiting to hear from.
Then I start to feel like a hypocrite.
The process of getting into and going to college is ridiculous. To show colleges you are a good student, you have to have high grades and SAT scores. To look even better, you must have high AP scores. This seems like an appropriate way to judge a student, but in practice there are so many problems with it. The kids with the highest grades are the ones who cheat the most, and know how to BS the best. The SATs and AP exams are both controlled by College Board. One organization tells us which kids deserve to be in college. Should one organization really be in control of something so important as the future of all students?
Then there's the recommendations most colleges require you to send in. Would I really send in a recommendation that says I'm a bad student? Is it really possible that I couldn't find one teacher to recommend me to a school?
Then when people go to college, in my opinion they are there for all the wrong reasons. People go to school to get degrees, not to receive an education. I feel like if i could spent the rest of my life in school, never having to worry about getting a degree or a job, just spending the rest of my life reading and learning and exploring, i would do it.
I wish it wasn't so complicated to just get an education.
No comments:
Post a Comment